A slab leak is a leak that takes place under the foundation of your house (or in some cases a concrete porch or pool area). Normally, leaks aren’t a problem, and if one springs up under the sink or the toilet, any plumber in Sandy Springs, GA could take care of it lickety-split. With slab leaks, however, you’ve got a problem. Not only is it extremely difficulty to reach the leak, but because it’s hidden beneath the concrete, it could go on for a great deal of time before you take notice. That can cause considerable damage to the foundation of your house, and we don’t need to tell you how much trouble that can be. The sooner you can spot the leak, the better, and while it can be difficult, knowing what to look for can soon put you on the right path.
- High Bills. You pay for the water lost to a slab leak, regardless of the fact that you don’t use it. An unexpected spike in your monthly bills could mean a leak somewhere you can’t find.
- Warm Spots or Cold Spots. The leaking water can alter the temperature of the concrete directly above it. You can usually spot them by feeling the concrete.
- Puddles. In some cases, the leaking water will puddle around the foundation, giving you a pretty good indication of a problem.
- Running Water. If you listen closely in some cases, you can hear the sounds of dripping or running water at the spot of the slab leak. Professional plumbers can use seismic detectors and other equipment to pinpoint the exact location.
- Mold or Mildew. The leak can often create mold growth and bacterial growth under the carpets and in similar spots in your home.
The moment you spot signs of a slab leak, shut off the water to your home and call the pros at Quick Action Plumbers!